7 Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Have you ever stepped into a lavender farm? Noticed how the perfect blend of fresh, floral aroma awakes your multi-sensory reaction? Well, the uber-popular lavender essential oil has been used for centuries to calm both your body and mind. The production of this oil for therapeutic properties dates back to 2500 years ago.
Lavender essential oil is popularly used in aromatherapy and, has the power to help you de-stress and decompress. This multipurpose oil is steam distilled from the plant Lavandula angustifolia and has several health benefits. Lavender cultivation and distillation are two key factors that play a crucial part in the quality of the finished product. Let's delve into some of the key benefits and uses of this medicinal oil.
Benefits and Uses of Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil is a great beginner oil and is highly versatile. This multi-functional essential oil is perfect for your body and mind. Aromatherapy is also key to help enhance the mind-body experience of yoga practice and meditation. Lavender helps you focus, release stress and uplifts spirits. Lavender essential oil is a personal favourite of ours as it's incredibly relaxing yet uplifting. From skincare to relaxing routines, lavender oil has several medicinal properties to it.
- Antiseptic Healer - Lavender oil is usually used to treat minor burns and bites because of its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Skin Savior - Acne breakouts, skin discolouration, fine lines, and dark spots are a common skin concern for many. This essential oil has the power to unclog pores, reduce inflammation and kill skin bacteria to prevent breakouts.
- Natural Sleep Aid - Several studies have indicated that lavender essential oil can promote sleep and fight insomnia and being able to get good sleep is a must for leading a healthy lifestyle. It is one of the key reasons, we use it in our Sleepy Head range of calming products.
- Anxiety Reliever - Lavender oil is one of the most preferred essential oil in aromatherapy to calm those affected with mild to severe anxiety attacks. Rubbing a lavender balm on your temples or wrists is a good idea for anxiety sufferers or people going through a stressful time. Sniffing your wrists throughout the day, can instantly help calm. Another good way to use lavender for anxiety or stress, is to use a lavender based aromatherapy mist like Calm or Sleepy Head.
- Antibacterial - This incredibly magical essential oil has both antibacterial and antifungal properties, which acts to help treat issues like yeast infections, athlete's foot, and ringworm. Adding a few drops of Lavender essential oil in your bath or footspa, will help your skin absorb the antibacterial properties.
- Hair & Scalp Booster - Lavender oil can help stimulate new hair growth and keep your scalp healthy. Just massage into your scalp and leave overnight, then wash off in the morning. We recommend our Calm essential oil blend as the combination of lavender and rosemary, amongst other oils help to promote healthy hair growth.
- Ease Cramps - Most women suffer from menstrual cramps or what's called dysmenorrhea. Lavender oil aromatherapy massages can help reduce the pain caused by menstrual cramps. Even something as simple as inhaling lavender oil can positively impact your stomach pain and backache.
There is enough research to prove the positive impact of lavender oil on your well-being. The application of this essential oil can differ based on your needs. For instance, if you have a skin concern like acne or inflammation, we recommend you dilute the essential oil with jojoba or grapeseed oil before applying it directly on your skin. And, if your concerns are related to anxiety and insomnia, our best recommendation would be to try our Calm or Sleepy Head aromatherapy products such as essential oils, candles, pillow mists, balms and bath salts. Whether you choose to enjoy a dreamy bath or use a diffuser, lavender essential oil will surely alleviate your stress.