Essential oils such as bergamot and lavender are some of the therapeutic-grade oils extracted from plants. The unique aromatic compounds of these oils are the key characteristic of the essence. As for bergamot oil, it is extracted from bergamot orange trees using a cold-pressed processing method. For those of you who are not familiar with bergamot, it is a pear-shaped fruit that belongs to the family of orange. This essential oil is popularly used in aromatherapy and cosmetic formulations.
The citrusy aroma with a warm spicy floral quality is unique. If you've ever drank Earl Grey tea, you will be familiar with the soothing citrus-like scent of bergamot.
Historically, this essential oil was in Italian folk medicine, Chinese medicine and in Ayurveda to treat relieve ailments related to digestion, skin health, and fever.
Aromatherapy Benefits of Bergamot Oil
Bergamot oil is popularly used as an essential oil in aromatherapy for its soothing qualities. Once you mix this essential oil with a carrier oil, it creates a perfect alternate lotion for body massages. Bergamot is a key ingredient in our Comforting Face & Body Oil for this reason.
If you want to renew the energy and aroma in your living space, bergamot essential oil is a great oil for this. We use bergamot essential oil in our Zen, Calm and Revive blends. It has the power to elevate your mood and alleviate stress immediately. Bergamot essential oil is a great choice for emotional wellbeing and mental health.
Other Health and Skincare Benefits of Bergamot Oil
- The antibacterial and antibiotic properties of this essential oil help prevent the growth of bacteria and prevent from causing any future infection.
- It also has the capability of fighting bad breath and can be used as a mouthwash due to its antimicrobial action.
- Since the bergamot oil consists of anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic compounds, it can reduce nerve sensitivity and can act as an effective painkiller.
- We could not reiterate more about the calming and purifying properties of the bergamot essential oil which can relieve stress. It is a key ingredient in our Calm Room spray for this reason
- Bergamot essential oil can soften your hair, tame your curls and even soothe an irritated scalp. You can use massage our Comforting body oil (which includes bergamot) into scalp for a pre-shampoo treatment
- If you are looking for a treatment for acne and painful cysts, bergamot essential oil can help you with that too. Our Manuka Aloe face mist contains bergamot as a key ingredient in its formula.
- One of the key factors in achieving mental and emotional well-being is through lowering your blood pressure level. Bergamot essential oil has the ability to improve your blood pressure level at ease.
It is advisable to not apply bergamot essential oil directly on your skin as it sometimes contain bergapten or Fuocoumarin (FCF). This can cause phototoxicity, which is a chemically induced skin irritation. Instead, dilute it with a carrier oil like coconut oil to use as a skin softener. We use an FCF-free bergamot essential oil in all our formulas, so ensure total safety.