Self Care Sunday Ideas For The Winter
With the weather turning colder, social distancing restrictions back in place, more time is spent at home and indoors. If your self care routine, used to involves running outside or warm weather activities, it’s time to switch to some winter self care and embrace the season!
Here are our top 10 Winter Self Care Ideas, not just for Sundays!
1. Change something – This can be anything from changing the way you dress, a new hair cut, to changing the artwork on your walls at home. Subtle changes or even big changes, can really uplift and energise your mood.
2. Read a book - When it’s cold and dark outside, nothing beats curling up under a blanket with a good book. whether its in a morning lay in, the middle of the day, or in bed at night, a few pages of a good book is good for the soul.
3. Digital detox – We spend far too much time ‘plugged in’ to technology and with more proof of social media causing addictive behaviours and habits, use Sunday to be a no-tech day and see notice how it makes you feel. You may be surprised!
4. Cook a hearty meal – Family dinners or even a meal for one are always the best when home cooked. A roast dinner is a traditional meal cooked on Sundays in the UK and is especially good in winter time. You can play around with different recipes too and use this time to be creative and try new things. We love the healthy, heartt recipes by Madeline Shaw
5. Play a game – Board games don’t have to be played just on Christmas day, Sundays are a great time to get the games out of the cupboard and connect with family members and partners.
6. Foot spa treat - When was the last time you had a foot spa at home? Soaking your feet in warm water filled with essential oils will not only be a treat for your feet, but also your mind. Go for oils with antibacterial properties such as lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass or tea tree. If you have one our 10ml essential oil blends, just add around 5 drops into warm water and soak your feet for 20 mins. For added skin benefits, add a spoonful of coconut oil.
7. Bath time – So few of us take baths these days, with showers being so quick and efficient as we are often always in a rush! Taking the time on a Sunday to have a nice warm bath is the ultimate self care! Go to town and make it count! Light some aromatherapy candles, play Zen music and pour in some high mineral bath salts to really look after your skin. Go for Sleepy Head bath salt blend for extra relaxation
8. Pyjama love – Treat yourself to a set of high quality skin loving pj’s. We recommend Dagsmejan’s Stay Warm collection. They are made from ultra-fine ethically sourced merino wool and Lyocell from eucalyptus, providing ultralight breathable warmth without you ever overheating.
9. Yin Yoga – Whether you are a yoga lover or total novice, yoga will benefit everyone and a 45 yin practice on a Sunday evening, will give you deeper sleep and set you up for good Monday morning. Yin yoga targets your deep connective tissues, like your fascia, ligaments, joints, and bones. It's slower and more meditative, giving you space to turn inward and tune into both your mind and the physical sensations of your body. There are plenty of videos on You Tube and you can use your pillows or cushions as props so it is minimal investment, maximum benefit! We recommend turning the lights down low, diffusing some aromatherapy oils and keeping the room fairly warm.
10. Look at the stars – Ok, this is weather permitting and if you are in a big city, they are not always clear, but looking at stars and knowing what planets they actually are, can give us a perspective of how small we actually are in the universe. Knowing this can also make anything that is bothering us seem tiny compared to the scale of the universe. When we gaze at stars, our thoughts clear and shift, while our connection with nature strengthens.